Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lost My American Loyalty?

I'll admit it.

I had no idea who the American female figure skating favorites were before the short program on Tuesday night.

I only knew Kim Yu-na. Granted, she is an impressive performer. But, maybe a bit of it had to do with seeing her on a regular basis on television ads, on posters, and in general-- all around Korea (year-round). Maybe I caught the obsession?

I liked Kim Yu-na even before I ever saw her skate.

My heart does swell with pride when I hear the national anthem, think of Ronald Reagan (don't judge), and apple pie. I just don't get excited about Rachael Flatt or Mirai Nagasu.

Why am I even blogging about this you ask? In my pre-Korea days my heart flowed American during the Olympics. Nancy Kerrigan and Michelle Kwan were all I could see on the ice rink. Short-sighted, yes. But, it was my experience.

Now, I've opened my heart to Kim Yu-na. Brainwashed? Maybe? But, I'm glad my world is expanding to include other Olympic allegiances.

Maybe I don't even have to choose which country's team I'll be loyal to. It seems like the world has opened up to me in more ways than one.

3 comments:

  1. I love this article, I think that I'm one of the only people who really truly and honestly is enamored with Yu-Na. I just don't like her at all. But I understand why you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally understand you Michelle. When I came back from Norway I was the SAME! Every time I would hear that the Norwegians one I was like WOOOHOOO! Even when they beat the American soccer team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @w.Who are you cheering for during these olympics, Wendy? You now have three countries to juggle.

    @d.I'll send you a poster. Maybe it will wear you out over time;)

    ReplyDelete